Überfremdung (pronounced [ˌyːbɐfʁɛmdʊŋ] ), literally “over-foreignization”, is a German-language term used in politics to suggest an excess of immigration . The word is compounded from über meaning “over” or “overly” and fremdmeaning “foreign”. Read More…
Category: Anti-immigration politics in Europe
Soldiers of Odin (SOO) is an anti-immigrant street patrol group founded in Kemi , Finland , in October 2015.   The group was established as a response to thousands of asylum seekers arriving in Finland from the European migrant crisis . 
SOO has denied claims of being a racist or neo-Nazi group in interviews and on their public Facebook page.  However, the group’s founder, Mika Ranta, has connections to the far-right, neo-Nazi Nordic resistance movement  and a criminal conviction stemming from a racially motivated assault in 2005.   According to the Finnish public broadcaster Yle , a private Facebook page for selected members of SOO shows that racism and Nazi sympathies are rampant among higher-ranking members. The group’s nature has raised concerns of anti-immigrant vigilantism .  Read More…
Vaterländischer Schweizerischer Verband ( French : Swiss Patriotic Federation , Italian : Federazione svizzera Patriottica )  (Swiss Patriotic Federation gold SVV) Was a right wing organization influential in Swiss politics before World War II . Read More…
Paar ( pronounced [də pœynoːpə (n) vɑn ɑxt jaːr paːrs] ( listen ) , English: The Wreckage of Eight Purple Years ) is a political non-fiction book released by the political political commentator and aspiring lawmaker Pim Fortuyn in 2002, two months prior to his murder . In the book, Fortuyn sharply criticizes the ruling ” Purple ” coalition government and its direct predecessor (both composed of PvdA , VVD and D66 ). Read More…
Polish plumber ( English : the Polish plumber , Polish : polski hydraulik ) was first used by Philippe Val in Charlie Hebdo and popularized by Philippe de Villiers as a symbol of cheap plowing coming from Central Europe as a result of the directive on services the internal market during the EU Constitution referendum in France in 2005. Read More…
Pè a Corsica is a Corsican nationalist political party in France , which calls for more autonomy for Corsica . More specifically, it is a coalition  (led by the authorist Gilles Simeoni   ) of the two Corsican nationalist parts active on the island;  That is, the moderately autonomist Femu a Corsica and the strongly committed separatist Corsica Libera (which won respectively 17.62% and 7.73% of the vote in the first round of the 2015 French regional elections . The party is led by the author Gilles Simeoni.   The alliance was re-elected for the 2017 territorial election .  Read More…
Ian O’Doherty is a columnist who works for the Irish Independent . His “iSpy” column is published Monday – Thursday and contains news articles blended with comedy and shock jock opinions. Fridays O’Doherty publishes a rather more serious column containing his opinion on the subject “The World according to Ian O’Doherty”. He used to work for the Evening Herald.  He was at Hot Press during the ” Charlton years “.  Read More…
Moviment Patrijotti Maltin (abbreviated as MPM ; literally “Maltese Patriots Movement”) is a nationalist and anti-immigrant political party in Malta . It was founded in April 2016 as the political wing of the anti-immigration group Għaqda Patrijotti Maltin.  The party has been described as far-right for its opposition to immigration and Islam in Malta . 
Since its foundation, the leader has always been Henry Battistino who is a major influence on the party’s agenda. It is an anti-establishment party, and opposes multiculturalism . Party members have shown hostility to Maltese journalists and reporters.
The MPM was founded on April 8, 2016 and is in the process of becoming a political party under the Financing of Political Parties Act .   In the 2017 Maltese general election, the party failed to elect any candidate in parliament.
MPM opposes the integration of migrants into the Maltese society, calling for European Union funds allocated to Malta for the purpose of the benefit of Maltese people and for Malta to no longer be a member of the Schengen Area . 
The party has opposed the presence of Islam in Malta . At an October 2016 protesters led by the party against the possible opening of a Muslim prayer room in Buġibba , leader Henry Battistino called for a national registry of Muslims and compared Muslim immigrants to rabbits breeding excessively.  Stephen Florian, an MPM party official, also spoke at the protest and stated that he believed that Roman Catholicism should only have one place of worship in the country.  Florian later caused controversy when he went to counter-protestor from the Buġibba protest as a transgender. 
MPM is frequently hostile towards media and the Maltese establishment, with Battistino referring to the media as traitors that are trying to “force [integration] down everyone’s throats”.  The party’s sister organization, Għaqda Patrijotti Maltin, was the subject of a complaint from the Institute of Maltese Journalists for Protecting Obstacles from Doing Their Jobs. 
- ^ Jump up to:a b c Sansone, Kurt (18 December 2016). “Expect a long ballot sheet next general election” . Times of Malta . Retrieved 15 January 2017 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c “Min Aħna” . Moviment Patrijotti Maltin (in Maltese). 1 April 2016 . Retrieved 15 January 2017 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d Tim Deacon. “Far-right leaders make a pitch for ‘traditional Maltese, Christian values ‘ ” . MaltaToday . Retrieved 29 May 2017 .
- Jump up^ Yannick Pace (4 January 2017). “On the right, Maltese conservatives still unable to find common ground” . MaltaToday . Retrieved 29 May 2017 .
- Jump up^ “FINANCING OF POLITICAL ACT PARTIES” . January 1, 2016 . Retrieved 15 January 2017 .
- Jump up^ “Patriotic Moviment Maltin call for referendum on integration” . The Malta Independent . 30 December 2016 . Retrieved 15 January 2017 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Schembri, Gabriel; Bonnici, Julian (9 October 2016). ” ‘ You’re all dirty’ demonstrator remarks during protest against Bugibba prayer room” . The Malta Independent . Retrieved 15 January 2017 .
- Jump up^ Leone Ganado, Philip (9 October 2016). “Prayer is a human right, self-proclaimed patriots told during protest” . Times of Malta . Retrieved 15 January 2017 .
- Jump up^ “Official Patrijotti Stephen Florian apologized for outing transgender person” . Times of Malta . 16 October 2016 . Retrieved 15 January 2017 .
- Jump up^ “IĠM asks for steps to be taken against” patriots “who obstructed journalists while on duty” . TVM News . 18 January 2016 . Retrieved 15 January 2017 .
The Independents ( German : Die Unabhängigen , abbreviated DU ), is a right-wing populist political party in Liechtenstein . In the 2013 parliamentary election , the first they contested, they won 29,740 votes (15.3%) and four seats in the Landtag .  DU is headed by train Patriotic Union parliamentarian Harry Quaderer . Read More…
Immigration Control Platform (ICP) ( Irish : An Feachtas um Smacht ar Inimirce  ) is a political group which seeks to restrict immigration to Ireland . It has not registered a political party , but has run non-party candidates in elections. Read More…