The Central Register of Foreign Nationals (German: Ausländerzentralregister (AZR) ) is a German database , containing 20 million foreign nationals .  Of these, as of February 2009, approximately 4.5 million are EU citizens. 
The Central Register of Foreign Nationals provides over 7,000 organizations and organizations, with over 80,000 users. 
According to section 26 of the law governing the Central Foreigners Register, personal data stored on individual foreigners in Germany may also be passed to the authorities of foreign states. 
The predecessor of the Central Register of Foreign Nationals was the Ausländerzentralkartei which was established in 1938 by the Nazi government.  In 1953 the Central Register of Foreign Nationals was established.
The Federal Office responsible for administering the Central Register of Foreign Nationals has been awarded a Big Brother Award for their operation of the database, for the reason of „institutionalized official discrimination of non-German citizens in Germany“. 
- Jump up^ „Internet BVA: Ausländerzentralregister“ . Archived from the original on 10 July 2013 . Retrieved 4 December 2013 .
- Jump up^ Federal Government of Germany:Drucksache 16/12569 – Speicherung von Unionsbuergerinnen und UnionsbÃ¼rgern im AuslÃ¤nderzentralregister(PDF, 71 kB). 6 April 2009
- Jump up^ „Bundesverwaltungsamt – Ausländerzentralregister“ . bva.bund.de . Retrieved 13 August 2015 .
- Jump up^ „Gesetz über das Ausländerzentralregister (AZRGesetz)“ (PDF) . Gesetze-im-internet.de . Retrieved 9 July 2015 .
- Jump up^ National Approaches to the Administration of International Migration , p. 75, atGoogle Books
- Jump up^ „Lebenswerk: Bundesverwaltungsamt | BigBrotherAwards“ (in German). Bigbrotherawards.de. 25 February 2015. Archived from the original on 10 July 2014 . Retrieved 9 July 2015 .