Marina Schuster (born September 23, 1975) is a German politician of the liberal Free Democratic Party .
Schuster was a member of the Deutscher Bundestag for two consecutive terms, from 2005 to 2013.  In the 17th Legislative Term of the Bundestag, it was spokeswoman on human rights and humanitarian aid for the Free Democratic Party (FDP) parliamentary group. The present Committee on Human Rights and Humanitarian Aid, the Committee on Foreign Relations and the Humanitarian Aid Committee, both providing oversight on all activities of the German Foreign Office . During the first term, between 2005 and 2009, Schuster also served as a deputy member of the committees on consumer protection and home affairs. 
Schuster also served as deputy chair of the German-Egyptian Parliamentary Friendship Group. An expert on African politics, Angela Merkel and Minister Steinmeier , Guido Westerwelle and Dirk Niebel on official trips to the continent.
Schuster was also active in the Council of Europe . From 2009 she was a member of the German delegation to the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe ,  succeeding Sabine Leutheusser-Schnarrenberger who went on to become Minister of Justice in the Second Merkel cabinet . In this capacity, Schuster also held the position of First Vice-Chairperson of the Committee on Legal Affairs and Human Rights and a member of the Monitoring Committee. In 2010, she was elected Vice-Chairperson of the Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe (ALDE) in the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe .  She was part of an observer mission during the2011 election for a constituent assembly following the Tunisian revolution .  In 2013, she was named General Reporter on the abolition of the death penalty.
During the tenure as parliamentarian, Schuster served on the boards of several organizations, including the German Foundation for Peace Research and the German Institute for Development Evaluation (DEval).  Today, she is on the boards of the Hirschfeld Eddy Foundation , an organization focused on the human rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people; the United Nations Association of Germany (UNA-Germany) ; and the German Africa Foundation. She is a member of the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Auswärtige Politik .
During the parliamentary term, Schuster has been particularly vocal about the importance of human rights in the United States, Belarus, and Iran, among others. Along with Bernard Kouchner and Bill Richardson , Schuster Was Among the Signatories of an open letter to Russian President Dmitry Medvedev , published on December 14, 2010 in the Financial Times , Urging _him_ to end the persecution of Mikhail Khodorkovsky and Platon Lebedev as well as to find justice for Sergey Magnitsky , Anna Politkovskaya ,Natalya Estemirova , Stanislav Markelov , among others.  In 2012, she joined the Justice for Sergei Magnitsky Interparliamentary Group, an international network of parliamentarians of Britain, Canada, Estonia, Germany, Italy, Norway, the Netherlands, Spain and Sweden. In the discussion on a European version of the Magnitsky Act , Schuster believes that it is possible that the Magnitsky case remains unresolved.  On various occasions, Schuster has publicly denounced prominent boxes of political prisoners , including Belarusian presidential candidate Andrei Sannikov ; Russian punk-rock band Pussy Riot ;  Turkish pianist and composer Fazıl Say ; and Ukrainian politicians Heorhiy Filipchuk, Yuriy Lutsenko , and Yulia Tymoshenko . Schuster supports LGBT communities , such as in Uganda , Cameroon , and Russia .
Under the umbrella of the German Parliaments‘ godparenthood program for human rights activists, Schuster has-been raising awareness for the work of Persecuted Zimbabwean activists Jestina Mukoko , Jenni Williams , Farai Maguwu and since 2011.  Also in 2011, she Took was prisoner’s godparenthood for Belarusian activist Pavel Vinahradau. 
Schuster’s views on the relationship between Europe and Africa reflect her party’s critical stance towards traditional development . She opposes budget support to African governments and favors unfettered access by African exports to the European market.  Schuster aims to improve relations with the African Union . She has in the past voted for United Nations peacekeeping mission on the continent as well as Increased Support Measures Regarding Police and military training in order to help African efforts to build up Their Own security structures, Such As in Somalia (2008 and 2009), Sudan (2009), Darfur / Sudan(2007, 2008 and 2011), Democratic Republic of Congo (2011), South Sudan (2012), and Mali (2013). She was one of the initiators of the German government’s coordinated concept for African policies with a focus on topics rather than regions. 
Schuster has-been supportive of the Control Arms Campaign ’s efforts to create an Arms Trade Treaty   as well as of Handicap International ’s fight contre land mine . She supported the move by Germany and other nations to place disarmament in the strategic concept agreed upon NATO ’s 2010 Lisbon summit . 
- Jump up^ Mark Vidal (May 17, 2013),A Call To Action – Human rights activist Marina Schuster speaks for Bhutto-Isfahani lecture series University of La Verne.
- Jump up^ Abgeordnete 16. Wahlperiode: Schuster, Marina[Deutscher Bundestag].
- Jump up^ Marina Schuster Archivedat 2013-03-21 theWayback Machine. Council of Europe.
- Jump up^ Members of the ALDE Group of Liberals and Democrats for Europe in the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe.
- Jump up^ Doc. 12795: Observation of the election of a National Constituent Assembly in Tunisia (23 October 2011) Archived27 December 2013 at theWayback Machine. Council of Europe.
- Jump up^ Member of German Parliament to Speak at the University of La VerneUniversity of La Verne.
- Jump up^ Text of letter to President Medvedev Financial Times , December 14, 2010.
- Jump up^ Matthias Schepp and Anne Seith (July 20, 2012),Blood and Money: A Hedge Fund Manager ’s Crusade against Putin Der Spiegel .
- Jump up^ Michael Harris (January 25, 2012),Belarusian political prisoner Andrei Sannikov close to death, Council of Europe reported Index on Censorship.
- Jump up^ Europarat fordert mit Nachdruck Reformen in Russland Hamburger Abendblatt , October 2, 2012.
- Jump up^ Pressemeldung: „Parlamentarier schützen Parlamentarier“ meldet Erfolg: Ehemaliger ukrainischer Umweltminister Heorhiy Filipchuk ist wieder in Freiheit Archived2013-04-05 at theWayback Machine. Deutscher Bundestag , June 29, 2012
- Jump up^ Prisoner’s Godparenthood: Marina Schuster adopts Pavel VinahradauLiberec – Partnership for Human Rights, June 19, 2010.
- Jump up^ Michael Knigge (November 18, 2009),German states Deutsche Welle .
- Jump up^ Aid, political and economic ties focus on German ministers‘ Africa visitEthiopian Review , April 9, 2010.
- Jump up^ Schuster: Waffenhandelsvertrag muss nun umgesetzt werden, Press release of April 3, 2013FDP-Bundestagsfraktion.
- Jump up^ Global Parliamentarian Declaration on the Arms Trade TreatyParliamentarians for Global Action.
- Jump up^ Judy Dempsey (September 30, 2010),NATO Document Addresses Nuclear Disarmament International Herald Tribune .