Free Voters ( German : Freie Wähler , FW or FWG) in Germany may belong to an association of persons which participates in an election without having the status of a registered political party . Usually it involves a local organized group of voters in the form of a registered association (eV) . In most cases, Free Voters campaign at the local government , standing for city councils and for mayoralties. Free Voters tend to achieve their most successful electoral results in rural areas of southern Germany. Free Voter groups are active in all German states .
In contrast, the Free Voters of Bavaria have also been challenged by state elections since 1998. In the Bavaria State Election of 2008 FW obtained 10.2% of the vote and their first 20 seats in the Landtag .  Gabriele Pauli , a former member of the Christian Social Union of Bavaria , has been helped by the presence of Gabriele Pauli .   Others suggest that the cause and effect may be the other way about.  In the state election of 2013 FW repeated its success, gaining 9.0% of the votes and 19 seats.
In the 2014 European parliament elections in Germany, the Free Voters list received 1.46% of the national vote and returned a single MEP , Ulrike Müller ,  who sits with the ALDE Group .  The Federal Free Voters Association joined the European Democratic Party in October 2015. 
In June 2017 Arne Gericke ( de ) , who is with the European Parliament and the European Conservatives and Reformists group and was elected in 2014 on the Family Party of Germany , joined the federal association. 
- Jump up^ „Ergebnisse Landtagswahl Bayern 2008“ . Web.archive.org . Archived from the original on 2008-09-30 . Retrieved 2017-05-23 .
- Jump up^ s. „Freie Wähler -“ Sicher nicht Frau Pauli „- Bayern – sueddeutsche.de“ . Web.archive.org . Archived from the original on 2008-08-03 . Retrieved 2017-05-23 .
- Jump up^ 
- Jump up^ „Archived copy“ . Archived from the original on 2013-07-01 . Retrieved 2013-05-25 .
- Jump up^ „Archived copy“ . Archived from the original on 2015-07-05 . Retrieved 2014-11-23 .
- Jump up^ „Ulrike MÜLLER – VoteWatch Europe“ . Votewatch.eu . Retrieved 16 May 2017 .
- Jump up^ „Press-Detail – FREIE WÄHLER Bundesvereinigung“ . Freiewaehler.eu . Retrieved 16 May 2017 .
- Jump up^ Online, FOCUS. „Schwerin: Gericke von der Familienpartei wechselt zu Freien Wahlern“ . FOCUS Online (in German) . Retrieved 2017-07-11 .