Besim Üstünel (1927 – June 2, 2015) was an academic in economics, politician and train Minister of Finance of Turkey .
Family life and early years
Besim Üstünel was born to Emin Üstünel and his wife Zekiye in Gaziantep , Southeastern Turkey in 1927. He had four sisters Nermin, Saadet, Sema, Aysen and four brothers Rasim Daşar, Mesut, Gündüz, Erol. 
After his primary and secondary education in his home city, he graduated from the School of Economics at Istanbul University in 1946.  After doctorate studies in the same university, he completed his post graduate studies in London School of Economics . 
He was married to Gülen Üstünel, born Cin.  
Besim Üstünel pursued a teaching career, and taught in the Faculty of Political Science, Ankara University . During this period, he served as a visiting professor in the Stockholm and Minnesota universities .  Üstünel served in the State Planning Organization of Turkey .  
In 1965, he was appointed deputy secretary general of the Republican People’s Party (CHP) upon request of the leading party İsmet İnönü . However, he did not enter the parliament for active politics. In the Turkish senate elections, 1975 , he became a CHP senator serving until the 1980 Turkish coup . Between June 21 and July 21, 1977, he served as the Minister of Finance in the 40th Government of Turkey (2nd Bülent Ecevit Government),    which failed to receive the vote of confidence .
After the 1980 military, he returned to academic studies, and was taught in Istanbul Technical University and later at Marmara University and Galatasaray University .  In 1986 he served in Seijo University in Tokyo as a visiting professor. He also served as the speaker of the Turkish delegation in the Council of Europe between 1980-1981. 
Üstünel died in Istanbul Florence Nightingale Hospital on June 2, 2015. Following the religious ceremony at Teşvikiye Mosque , he was interred in Ulus Cemetery on June 4, 2015.  
- Üstüne, Besim. Ekonominin Temelleri . Istanbul. p. 383. ISBN 978-975-304-0648 . 
- Üstüne, Besim. Makro Ekonomi . Istanbul: Alfa Yayınları. p. 311. 
- ^ Jump up to:a b c “Besim Üstünel” (in Turkish). Vefat Hürriyet. 2015-06-04 . Retrieved 2015-06-05 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Türkcan, Ergün (2015-06-04). “Besim Üstünel’in ardından” . Cumhuriyet (in Turkish) . Retrieved 2015-06-05 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d “Prof. Dr. Besim Üstünel vefat etti” . Hürriyet (in Turkish). 2015-06-02 . Retrieved 2015-06-05 .
- Jump up^ “Prof. Dr. Besim Üstünel vefat etti” . Hür Haber (in Turkish). 2015-06-04 . Retrieved 2015-06-05 . [ permanent dead link ]
- ^ Jump up to:a b Gaziantep news (in Turkish) Archived July 10, 2015 at the Wayback Machine .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Besim Üstünel hayatını kaybetti” . Milliyet (in Turkish). 2015-06-02 . Retrieved 2015-06-05 .
- Jump up^ Haber Gazetesi (in Turkish)
- Jump up^ “Ekonominin Temelleri” (in Turkish). İdefix . Retrieved 2015-06-05 .
- Jump up^ “Makro Ekonomi” (in Turkish). İdefix . Retrieved 2015-06-05 .