Álvaro Gil-Robles and Gil-Delgado (born September 9, 1944 in Lisbon , Portugal ) is a Spanish lawyer and human rights activist .
He was the Commissioner for Human Rights of the Council of Europe from 15 October 1999 to 31 March 2006. He was the first person to occupy this position and was succeeded by Thomas Hammarberg .
From 2000 to 2005, he visited various organizations for their future improvement.
Chronology of visits
- 2000: Georgia and Moldova
- 2001: Andorra , Norway , Slovakia , Finland and Bulgaria
- 2002: Greece , Hungary , Romania and Poland
- 2003: Czech Republic , Slovenia , Portugal , Turkey , Cyprus , Lithuania , Latvia , Estonia and Malta
- 2004: Luxembourg , Denmark , Sweden , Croatia , Russia , Switzerland and Liechtenstein
- 2005: Spain , Italy , Iceland , France and Kosovo