Created by the Assembly of European Regions (AER), the Youth Regional Network (YRN) is a platform of regional-level youth organizations, councils and parliaments from across Europe . The platform works as a forum where young people can influence regional and European policy while exchanging experiences and good practice. At the general Assembly in Vojvodina at the 7th of May 2017, YRN members elected their presidium, which is composed as follows:
- YRN President, Gloria VITALY, Oppland
- Vice President, Grete KESKULA, Saaremaa (EE)
- Vice President, Katalin ARANY, Csongrad (HU)
- Vice President, Sander Delp HORN, Nordland (NO)
- President of the Committee for Economic and Regional Development Vahram VARDANYAN, Yerevan (AM)
- President of the Social and Health Committee Paula HOLST, Varmland (SE)
- President of the Cultural and Education Committee Giovanni BRIGANTI, Wallonia (BE)
AER’s Youth Regional Network was established on 25 November 2008 in Wiesbaden ( Hessen region, Germany ), where a founding meeting of young people represented 55 European regions launched Europe’s first platform of regional youth councils, parliaments and organizations. They adopted the Wiesbaden Resolution, in order to define their main priorities and goals.
The YRN was founded on the idea that decision-making should be based on the principle of subsidiarity . This means that, on the one hand, youth policy should reflect the diversity of the regions of the world. It is important to keep in mind that the European dimension should be tackled in a shared sense of co-operation with the sharing of ideas, knowledge and experiences.
Interservices / parliaments / NGOs with AER and its activities, the AER General Assembly agrees to adopt the Declaration on Enhanced Cooperation with YRN, which marks the recognition of its role and contribution within AER, among AER member regions & at the European level.
2013 YRN adopted its statutes, rules of procedure and strategic priorities. From May 2013, YRN got a seat in the AER Executive Board .
The mission of the YRN is to provide young people with the opportunity to participate in the European and regional democratic processes.
There are four main objectives: networking , influencing policy, exchanging best practice and promoting sustainable governance.
Youth Summer Academy : Held annually over a five-day period, each summer academy focuses on a specific theme and is hosted by an AER member region . The concept of the AER Summer Academy evolved in 1996 as a response to the increase in AER member regions coming from the countries of Central and Eastern Europe. The Summer Academy was therefore designed as a tool to facilitate the exchange of experience and information. The Summer Academy has since evolved into an annual forum for exchange of experience in the area of regional development in Europe.
AER Youth Participation Report: The AER Youth Participation Report: The AER Youth Participation Report: The AER Youth Participation Report in this field.
“ Do you speak European? „ Competition: this annual public speaking and personal speech contest Gives teams of young people aged entre 14 and 18 the opportunity to answer the question, „What does Europe mean to you?“. The competition is European-level final and is taking place in Europe.
The Most Youth-Friendly European Region (MYFER) Award : in 2001, AER launched an award for the Most Youth-Friendly European Region. The award is presented every two years to the region and the most outstanding project or other initiative promoting youth issues. The 2014 edition of the Most Youth Friendly Region Award (MYFER) will be held in the European Region.
AER European Citizens Forums : The forums aim to engage young citizens and regional politicians in a debate with representatives of the European Union on the future of Europe.
Eurodyssey : Eurodyssey is an interregional program promoting vocational training and the mobility of young people across Europe.
Promoting Youth Employment : The ‚Promoting Youth Employment‘ (PYE) project aims to foster best practice and facilitate youth employment through the exchange of best practice at regional level.
- „Assembly of European Regions“
- „AER Youth activities“
- „AER Youth Regional Network“
- YRN Fall Plenary meeting, 14-17 November 2013 , Sfantu Gheorghe (RO): This meeting focuses on the role of Education in Inclusive Society
- YRN Spring Plenary meeting , 6 May 2013, Brussels (B)
- AER Conference on the Crisis and the Regions : „Youth as a source and a lever of regional growth in times of crisis“, 8 March 2013, Warsaw (PL)
- YRN Fall Plenary Meeting , 8-9 October 2012, Strasbourg (F): „Youth Democracy: Engagement & Influence in European Policy“
- YRN Spring Plenary Meeting , 7-9 May 2012, Vienna (A): „Equal Rights for All“
- AER Youth Regional Network Fall Plenary & Seminar on Eastern Partnership , 27-28 October 2013, Wroclaw (PL)
- AER Youth Regional Network Spring Plenary Meeting & Conference on Youth Mobility , April 21, 2011, Orléans (F)
- YRN Presidium Meeting , 21-22 February 2011, Strasbourg (F)
- YRN Spring Plenary meeting , 7-9 June 2010, Donja Stubica (HR): Empowering youth through subisdiarity
- YRN’s Take on Youth Employment and Autumn Plenary, 10-12 December 2009 in Paris (F)
- „On the eve of the European elections“ and Spring Plenary, 20-22 May 2009 in Krzyzowa (Dolny Slask, PL)
- First Meeting of the AER Youth Regional Network on 23-25 November 2008 in Wiesbaden (Hessen, D): „The future belongs to us – but how should we handle it?“
- Assembly of European Regions (23-25 November 2008). „The future belongs to us – but how should we handle it?“ . Meeting of Youth from the European Regions . . Assembly of European Regions. Archived from the original on 19 February 2009 . Retrieved 2009-03-31 .
- Ansa (2008-11-25). „AER ARIA rete regionale europea giovani“ (PDF) . EAR. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-07-22 . Retrieved 2009-03-31 .
- Deutsche Welle (2008-12-01). „Pierwsza sieć współpracy młodzieży z regionów Europy“ . Deutsche Welle. Archived from the original on April 2, 2009 . Retrieved 2009-03-31 .